Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My New Toy





I never had any interest in a ball winder. I thought they were more for people who spin or only buy hanks of yarn. Well, JoAnn was having a sale and I was getting a lot of positive feedback about winders. I recently bought some mill ends and they were a mess....




But here is what they look like now....







I Russian Joined the ends of the hanks together while I was winding. That saves a lot of time when I go to use the yarn. I would certainly recommend that if you do a lot of crocheting and have a stash that could use some organization, you would do well to have one of these. They are real easy to use. This model was on sale for $30.

Crochet, Away!

8 comments:

Ria said...

I keep thinking about getting a ballwinder and swift. I do use mostly yarn that comes in hanks. Currently my husband is the swift and I am the winder.

Beth N said...

Those cakes of yarn look so nice-really like the color too. When I first used my ball winder I am afraid that my cake of yarn was a little lopsided but I do use mine and really like having it--I got mine and my swift when Joanns's would have one of their 50% off coupons.

Laura said...

Sandy,

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog! I'd like to get a ball winder one day too, but what I really want is a folding blocking board. i don't have anywhere to block large crocheted pieces.

Laura said...

P.S. I agree with Beth N - that yarn is a really pretty color!

MiniBooger said...

Now that you have one, don't you love it? I think the cakes are easier to store than skeins, and maybe it's just me, but I swear you can store more :D

The Bookworm said...

wow, you go girl! great job, I love that color.
http://yarnchick.blogspot.com/

Nisha said...

I got my winder on sale at joann's too. love it!
Tell me about this russian joining thing you mentioned..?
Http://crochetlanee.blogspot.com

Tracie said...

I love my ball winder. Got it at KnitPicks.com for just $20.

Twitter Timeline