Thursday, April 23, 2015

When you lose your mojo....

I have had no desire to do any hooking or knitting since Ron's death. Not saying I haven't tried....I have a blanket I started making for my DS and DIL for last Christmas I never finished. Got more yarn for it, have the hook and its in a bag next to my bed. But I just don't feel like working on it.

When Ron died, I had to move out of our home rather quickly. I had a BIG stash and it became very obvious that I couldn't take it all...nor did I even WANT it all. So I went through every cubby, every container, every bag, every skein, every hank and I did a throughout destashing. Got rid of a LOT of crap yarn (yes, I know that every yarn has a use but whatever use I might have thought I would have had for it went out the window) like eyelash yarn, old acrylic....even old WIP's I knew I would never finish. I gave 3 small trash bags and one small store bag full to my old neighbor who in turn donated it to her church who said they would put it to good use. I am not happy for the circumstances which caused me to do that but I am happy that its done......it was time for a fresh start to prepare for the time that I was again ready to pick up my hooks and enjoy the craft that I have embraced for over 40 years.

I don't know when that day will come, but I know it will.

The good yarn I kept went mostly into temporary storage at my son's home since he had a place to keep it. It will be waiting for me there.

So what about you? Do you need to go through your yarn, too? Might be a good time to think about it. And you might rediscover some treasured skeins you forgot about, like me. And I know there are less fortunate people out there who would love your cast off skeins. And if you already have done a destash, good for you!

Crochet, Away!

2 comments:

Maven said...

For starters, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been a while since I've blogged myself, and checked out the blogs of friends.

I find my mojo comes and goes, and when it comes, it usually comes in great big waves.

Periodically I go through my stash, roughly once a year, and purge out anything that I'm likely not to use, and especially remnants. Lately, my projects all call for sweater's volume of yarn, so single skeins I don't have much use for. I keep anything special that was gifted, and I bundle up everything else to be donated to Interim House in Philly to be used in their art therapy program.

Thinking and hoping for the best for you, in this new phase of your life. And I hope you get your mojo back. Crochet and knitting is like an old familiar friend. I hope the yarn speaks to you soon.

Peace and fleece,
Maven

smr61754 said...

Thank you! Your comment was very kind. And I hope you are right. At least I have gotten a bit better...see my latest entry. :)

Twitter Timeline